Michael K. Ross
Mr. Ross is a partner and co-founder of the Firm. An experienced trial lawyer who has successfully litigated cases throughout the country, Mr. Ross has over 20 years of experience representing corporations and individuals in high-stakes commercial litigation, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings. Mr. Ross has litigated a wide variety of cases, for clients ranging from large companies such as Marriott International/The Ritz-Carlton, Verizon, Sodexo, Merrill Lynch, and The JBG Companies, to rapidly-growing technology leaders such as Cvent, Opower, Clarabridge, and K12 Insight. Mr. Ross has extensive experience litigating cases arising out of real-estate transactions, intellectual-property use and misuse, contract disputes, shareholder oppression, and cases involving alleged fraud and other commercial torts. In addition to state and Federal court actions, Mr. Ross has represented corporate clients in numerous arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution. Mr. Ross is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia, Maryland, the State of Washington, and numerous Federal courts throughout the country.
Selected Litigation Matters: Mr. Ross’ civil litigation experience includes the following representations:
- Defending The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company in a series of cases filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia arising out of a large-scale development project in Loudoun County, Virginia. Summary judgment obtained in favor of The Ritz-Carlton on all counts.
- Prevailing as lead counsel in fully-litigated arbitration proceeding alleging breach of a commercial contract; arbitral awarded included recovery of client’s attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in defeating the U.S. Department of Justice in a commercial leasing case tried in federal court in May 2014; successfully defended judgment before the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Prevailing as lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a D.C. Superior Court case arising out of a commercial lease dispute; successfully defended judgment on appeal to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- Successfully prosecuting cases in U.S. District Courts throughout the country to enforce Merrill Lynch & Co.’s trademark rights in connection with its famous bull logo.
- Successfully defending Marriott International in a series of asbestos cases filed in Madison County, Illinois and in other jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Representing a prominent District of Columbia private equity firm in a complex set of interrelated cases in D.C. Superior Court with claims exceeding $20 million.
- Serving as co-lead counsel at trial before the D.C. Contract Appeals Board in obtaining a judgment in excess of $6 million on behalf of a District of Columbia managed care organization.
- Filing suit in Delaware Chancery Court on behalf of technology company co-founder subjected to shareholder oppression and freeze-out following departure from company; favorable settlement achieved for client.
- Successfully prosecuting a series of cases in Virginia courts on behalf of a publicly-traded technology company to protect the company’s intellectual property and trade secrets.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in successful defense of Riggs Bank, N.A. in federal jury case by former executive for stock-option compensation; plaintiff recovered nothing.
- Serving as lead counsel in jury trial in Maryland state court on behalf of plaintiff defrauded in real estate transaction; jury award included punitive damages.
- Together with partner Paul Rauser, defending a private intelligence gathering firm in a widely-reported case in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia alleging various intentional torts – after 18 months of contentious litigation, the plaintiff abandoned all claims with prejudice.
- Along with co-counsel O’Melveny & Myers, LLP, and Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr., represented The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company in nine-figure commercial litigation filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
- Defending Marriott International, Inc. in commercial arbitration before the International Centre for Dispute Resolution arising out of a large hotel project in Latin America.
- Defending a Hong Kong-based manufacturer in a products liability case filed in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia.
- Serving as lead plaintiff’s counsel in a series of cases filed in Federal and State courts of Maryland arising out of theft of investment funds; favorable global settlement obtained.
Background: Mr. Ross is a 1989 graduate of Pomona College and a 1992 graduate of The University of Michigan Law School, where he was Contributing Editor of the Michigan Law Review. Following law school, Mr. Ross served as law clerk to Judge John C. Coughenour of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, followed by a clerkship with Judge Jerome Farris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to founding Aegis, Mr. Ross practiced at Williams & Connolly LLP, in Washington, D.C. and served as Senior Counsel to Marriott International, Inc.