Michael K. Ross
Mr. Ross is a partner and co-founder of the Firm. An experienced trial lawyer who has successfully litigated cases throughout the country, Mr. Ross has for over 20 years represented corporations and individuals in high-stakes commercial litigation, arbitrations, and administrative proceedings. Mr. Ross has litigated a wide variety of cases, for clients ranging from large companies such as Marriott International/The Ritz-Carlton, Verizon, Sodexo, and Merrill Lynch, to growing industry leaders such as Cvent, ACON Investments, Clarabridge, and K12 Insight. Mr. Ross has extensive experience litigating cases arising out of real-estate transactions, contract disputes, intellectual-property use and misuse, shareholder oppression, and cases involving alleged fraud and other commercial torts. In addition to court litigation, Mr. Ross has represented corporate clients in more than a dozen arbitrations before the American Arbitration Association, the International Centre for Dispute Resolution, and the International Institute for Conflict Prevention and Resolution. Mr. Ross is a member of the bars of the District of Columbia, Maryland, the State of Washington, and various federal courts throughout the country.
Selected Litigation Matters: Mr. Ross’ civil litigation experience includes the following representations:
- Litigating dozens of cases on behalf of Marriott, Sheraton, and The Ritz-Carlton in various state and federal courts across the county and in arbitration.
- Serving as lead litigation counsel in numerous litigation and arbitration matters in various states on behalf of Verizon Communications and its affiliated companies.
- Litigating on behalf of Sodexo America in various courts and tribunals throughout the country.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in defeating the U.S. Department of Justice in a commercial real estate case tried in federal court in May 2014; successfully defended judgment abefore the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Prevailing as lead trial counsel for plaintiff in a D.C. Superior Court case arising out of a commercial lease dispute; successfully defended judgment on appeal to the District of Columbia Court of Appeals.
- Prevailing as lead counsel in fully-litigated arbitration proceeding alleging breach of a commercial contract; arbitral awarded included recovery of client’s attorneys’ fees and costs.
- Successfully prosecuting cases in U.S. District Courts throughout the country to enforce Merrill Lynch & Co.’s trademark rights in connection with its famous bull logo.
- Successfully defending Marriott International in a series of asbestos cases filed in Madison County, Illinois and in other jurisdictions throughout the country.
- Serving as co-lead counsel at trial before the D.C. Contract Appeals Board in obtaining a judgment in excess of $6 million on behalf of a District of Columbia managed care organization.
- Serving as lead trial counsel in successful defense of Riggs Bank, N.A. in federal jury case by former executive for stock-option compensation; plaintiff recovered nothing.
- Serving as lead counsel in jury trial in Maryland state court on behalf of plaintiff defrauded in real estate transaction; jury award included punitive damages.
- Along with co-counsel O’Melveny & Myers, LLP, and Johnnie L. Cochran, Jr., represented The Ritz-Carlton Hotel Company in nine-figure commercial litigation filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.
Background: Mr. Ross is a graduate of Pomona College and of The University of Michigan Law School, where he was Contributing Editor of the Michigan Law Review. Following law school, Mr. Ross served as law clerk to Judge John C. Coughenour of the U.S. District Court for the Western District of Washington, followed by a clerkship with Judge Jerome Farris of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to founding Aegis, Mr. Ross practiced at Williams & Connolly LLP, in Washington, D.C. and served as Senior Counsel at Marriott International, Inc.